St. Mary’s on the Lake is the summer home of the Paulist Fathers, the Missionary Society of St. Paul the Apostle. A community of Roman Catholic priests, the Paulists were founded in 1858 by Servant of God Fr. Isaac Hecker, and St. Mary’s was the second property acquired by Fr. Hecker for the community.
For much of our history, St. Mary’s was where all our seminarians and novices, and many of the fathers, spent the summer. Prior to the invention of air conditioning, it was necessary to escape the summer heat of New York and Washington DC, and St. Mary’s provided a welcome respite.
Today St. Mary’s still hosts our seminarians in August, and many of the Paulist fathers come to Lake George for vacation and retreat time.